This Year I Resolve to Make No Resolutions
By Mae Pike
Co-owner, Home Cuisine
This year I resolve to make no resolutions. There. I said it. This year I will not tell myself that I will have a 6-pack by the end of February, I will not resolve to NEVER, EVER eat a carb again and I will not beat myself up over blowing these unreasonable expectations by mid-January.
After all the years of talking to our clients at Home Cuisine, discussing what actually helps people lose weight, gain energy, or just keep a healthy focus, I have realized that setting reasonable goals and allowing the time needed to adopt the new lifestyle, really allows people to stick with their program and ultimately see results!
So, in 2017, I am going to watch the carbs, eat as much seafood as I can get my hands on, pack my plates with tons of lovely green veggies and end every meal with fresh fruit. I will not, however, lay awake at night worried about the two Hershey’s Kisses that I scarfed down in the waiting room at my Insurance Agent’s office.
When our clients at Home Cuisine order a 7-day per week meal plan, they tend to feel great about seeing immediate results. This is a wonderful thing! I have also enjoyed updates from these clients who drop down to a 5-day meal plan, allowing them the luxury of maintaining a healthy week, and balancing their social lives with the weekend ‘free’. So in this New Year, there are a few things that we can all do allowing us the opportunity to stay on a healthy path with a little ‘wiggle room’:
- Fill half your plate with veggies, one-quarter complex carbohydrates and a little lean protein to round it out.
- Have a few meatless meals (Tuscan White Beans with Sauteed Spinach is one of our favorites at Home Cuisine).
- When you go out to eat, ask for a doggy bag when the food arrives, and pack half for a nice lunch the next day.
- Start with soup…it fills you up. Avoid cream based as they are typically very unhealthy.
- Watch the intake of alcohol. Not only is it caloric, but it can also limit your inhibitions and before you know it, the midnight pizza delivery is sitting on your coffee table. Try alternating a soda water with lime between drinks.
Also, let’s not forget to get a little exercise. So many of us sign up for a 5 am boot camp or a personal training session with a drill sergeant. This is not the answer for everyone. (***Mae sheepishly raises her hand.)
There are some super fun ways to get your body moving, and before you know it, you are buttoning those old jeans again! (You know, the pair that you must have left in the dryer too long.)
- Have a PJ dance party with your kids! (Don’t have any kids? Most parents will lend theirs out.) Take the dog for a walk. Walk past the end of the street.
- Meet a friend for afternoon Yoga instead of brunch.
- Or … take advantage of ALL that The Parklands has to offer. Miles of trails and breathtaking natural beauty are a perfect backdrop and motivator for your baby steps to a healthier version of you.
To kick off 2017 in a healthy way and to show our support for The Parklands, Home Cuisine is offering TWO special deals!
#1: You can win breakfast, lunch and dinner for two for a week from Home Cuisine! Retail value: $140. To become eligible to win, complete one of the following actions between TODAY and 3:00 PM on January 31, 2017:
- Sign up for a Parklands Membership
- Renew your Membership
- Gift a Membership
- Make an additional gift to support The Parklands
Winner will be drawn and notified on Wednesday, February 1, 2017, and will have their choice of a meal plan! Visit www.theparklands.org/member to learn how you can become a member or make a special gift.
#2: Special Flash Sale! Home Cuisine is offering 10% off orders placed TODAY through January 31, 2017 for Members of The Parklands. Please contact Mae Pike at 502-896-0666 or email@example.com to place your order.