The Parklands of Floyds Fork to Open Turkey Run Park October 16, 2015
The Parklands of Floyds Fork is thrilled to announce that Turkey Run Park will open to the public on Friday, October 16, 2015. Turkey Run Park begins where Floyds Fork intersects with Seatonville Road and ends at Broad Run Road, encompassing more than 800 acres. Parklands’ visitors will find the following amenities in Turkey Run Park:
- 2.7 miles of new park road
- 13 total trail miles including
- 3.7 miles of the paved Louisville Loop for hiking, biking and running
- 6.3 miles of additional hike/bike trails – soft surface
- 3 miles of new soft trails for hiking only
- 1 additional paddling access extending The Parklands total water trail mileage to 13 miles along Floyds Fork from Beckley Creek Park to Turkey Run Park
- Sky Dome – a natural high point overlooking sky meadow – and Boulder Pond, which will be stocked by Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife. Boulder Pond includes an ADA accessible fishing pier.
- Ben Stout House (approximately 200-year-old structure listed on the National Registry of Historic Places) will serve as an interpretive center. Open hours October 18 – December 31 are Fridays Noon-4:00 PM, Saturdays 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM and Sundays Noon – 4:00 PM
- Brown-Forman Silo Center which includes:
- 1 acre lawn made possible by Texas Roadhouse
- Hockensmith Barn rental facility (275 people capacity)
- 2 picnic shelters (Pignic Barn – approx. 70 people and Farmer’s Table – approx. 40 people.
- 60′ Silo Lookout with 360 degree view (109 steps to the top)
Check out our events page for more details on Turkey Run Park opening events! Please contact Anna Rosales-Crone at 502.365.9988 or email@example.com to arrange an interview or to learn more about the opening of Turkey Run Park.
About The Parklands of Floyds Fork
The Parklands of Floyds Fork is a nearly 4,000-acre donor-supported public park system under development within the Floyds Fork watershed in eastern and southeastern Louisville. One of the largest and most ambitious metropolitan park projects in the nation, The Parklands is a dream realized by 21st Century Parks, a nonprofit organization established to create and preserve new unexcelled parks that serve as city-shaping infrastructure.
With the opening of Turkey Run Park, The Parklands will be approximately 60% open, currently operating and programming the first three of four parks in Eastern Jefferson County. The Strand, a 5-6 mile stretch of the Louisville Loop, and Broad Run Park are currently under construction and scheduled to open to the public in the spring of 2016. 21st Century Parks is responsible for fundraising, land acquisition, construction, and long-term operations of the new park system. Community members may contribute to the annual fund by becoming a Parklands Member. Learn more at www.theparklands.org/Member.