Did you make a New Year’s Resolution to lose weight, get in shape or generally to make more time for yourself this year? How many years have you set the same resolution only to have given it up by February? You’re certainly not alone. We all have good intentions but life seems to get in the way. The following are 8 tips to get you started on the path to a better you in 2017.
1. Goal Setting – What does it mean when you say you want to exercise, lose weight, meal plan, or have more “Me Time”? People don’t set specific or powerful enough goals for themselves, and very often goals that are set are unrealistic. How much weight do you want to lose? How often do you want to take time for yourself? Set S.M.A.R.T. (SPECIFIC, MEASURABLE, ACHIEVABLE, REALISTIC AND TIMELY) goals to set you up for success. Write your goals down and share them with your family. The more people you tell about your goals the more likely you are to follow through with them.
2. Fit It In With Your Lifestyle – Most people tend to do too much, too hard, too fast. This year, find activities that will easily fit into your lifestyle. If you have babies, consider a stroller-based workout. If you usually spend time watching TV before bed, try using that time to meditate instead. If you don’t have time to go to a gym, then try exercise tapes or just walk right in front of your house. You have to make self-care non-negotiable, just like taking a shower, brushing your teeth, etc. In fact, book self-care on your calendar just as you would any other appointment.
3. Find Things You Enjoy – Hate the gym? Then don’t go. There are a million ways to get fit. Find activities that you enjoy. Any of the following are examples: Yoga, Walking, Running, Tennis, Basketball, Stroller-Based Workouts, Racquetball, Bike Riding, Swimming, Spinning. The list goes on and on. Do what you enjoy and you’ll stick with it.
4. Reward Yourself – It is human nature to strive to achieve things when there’s a reward at the end. Set up some positive reinforcers for yourself such as a massage, a new outfit or even just a day to relax. Set a goal and set a reward that you will be excited to receive.
5. Sign up for an event – If you are a walker, biker, runner or swimmer, there are tons of events from 5k’s to marathons that you can sign up for. If you sign up for an event, it helps keep you on track with your training because you know what you have to achieve and by when.
6. Get An Accountability Partner – Do you have a friend who wants to have better self-care in 2017 as well? Team up and help each other reach your goals! It is so easy to forget about self-care when you only have yourself to hold accountable. People with workout partners are far more likely to stick to their routine. If you know that someone is depending on you, it’s tough to make excuses.
7. Get Your Family Involved – Create an active family. Instead of going to the mall on weekends, go for a family hike, bike ride or swim at the local pool. It will add a new element of fun for your family and will encourage you and your family to live a more active lifestyle.
8. Stay Motivated – Set The Mood. You’re more likely to stick with a self-care routine if it inspires you. That means different things to different people. For instance, consider buying new exercise clothes or an mp3 player so that you have motivating music to pump you up. If you get revved up every time you hear the theme song to Rocky, then by all means, start your day with it!
Wishing you all good health and happiness in 2017!
See a full list of Perks Partners and learn more about becoming a member at www.theparklands.org/Member.