The Parklands continues to closely follow developments and guidance regarding the ongoing pandemic. This week marks another milestone. See below for our latest updates. All dates are subject to change based on guidance from the city and state. Please continue to keep an eye on our website for the latest information.
- Beginning June 29, groups of 50 or less are now permitted in park pavilions. Our larger venues can accommodate even more, while adhering to social distancing guidelines. Contact our events team to talk through pricing, availability and the variety of options we can offer for your next event. E-mail email@example.com or call 502-815-0277.
- On July 3, Silo Lookout at the Brown-Forman Silo Center in Turkey Run Park reopens.
- On July 3, faucets at the base of our drinking fountains will be turned on allowing visitors to fill bottles and bowls. The top portion of the fountains will remain off.
The following areas and amenities remain closed to the public until further notice:
- All playgrounds and spraygrounds (Beckley Creek, Pope Lick, and Broad Run parks)
- PNC Achievement Center for Education & Interpretation in Beckley Creek Park (open to camp participants and park staff ONLY)
- Osage Orange Trail in Beckley Creek Park (inaccessible due to playground closure)
VISITING THE PARKLANDS
The Parklands is open daily from dawn to dusk offering families and individuals of all ages and abilities a way to get out and active while practicing social distancing. When visiting The Parklands, all guests should continue to follow CDC guidance on social distancing and healthy hand hygiene.
Additionally, visitors should:
- Stay home if they are sick.
- Remain at least six (6) feet apart from strangers and people who are not part of your household.
- Share the trails, and give others space.
- Avoid in-person social gatherings of more than 50.
- Explore another section of the park if the trail or area they planned to visit is busy.
- When possible, visit in the early morning or late evening (prior to dusk) to avoid peak visitation.
- Avoid touching handrails and benches.
Park Rangers and LMPD frequently patrol The Parklands. They are keeping an eye out for visitors who are not following group and social distancing guidelines to educate them on the risks. Visitors can report non-compliance to the COVID-19 Reporting Hotline (833-KYSAFER or 833-597-2337) or online at kysafer.ky.gov.
While in-person programs are currently on hold, park staff are producing digital content to keep visitors of all ages learning and engaged.
- The Parklands Virtual Classroom is an online hub of fun and engaging videos and worksheets that students can watch and complete remotely. Resources are free and available for parents, teachers and individuals of all ages at www.theparklands.org/classroom.
- Wednesday Wonders, sponsored by PNC Grow Up Great, is an interactive program designed to spark the curiosity of young children. Visit The Parklands Facebook or YouTube page every Wednesday at 10 a.m. to explore a new science wonder with a story, craft, hike or related science experiment.
- The Park Roots speaker series, exclusive to Parklands Members, will be offered virtually on The Parklands Facebook page until further notice. This format allows supporters to enjoy our program from the safety of their own home. Details on upcoming events will be posted to The Parklands website as they become available. Visitwww.theparklands.org/events.
- The Parklands weeklong Outdoor Adventure Camps for kids in K-6 grade are underway from June 15 through August 7. Due to group-size limits, all sessions are full! To be placed on the waiting list, contact Curtis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 502-815-0274.
FACILITY RENTALS & COMMUNITY EVENTS
The Parklands can now offer increased capacity for gatherings throughout the park. Beginning June 29, 2020, groups of 50 or less are permitted at our pavilions, and our larger venues can accommodate even more, while adhering to social distancing guidelines.
The Parklands events team is making the necessary adjustments and taking safety precautions, including implementing updated PPE and sanitation procedures for staff, as well as adjusting seating and layout options to adhere to social distancing guidelines.
As the size of permitted gatherings increases, we are also working with partners to offer free events to the community, while adhering to state and city guidelines. Check out our events page for full details on upcoming events at The Parklands. www.theparklands.org/events
The health and safety of park guests and staff is our top priority, while providing a place for community and gathering. Learn more about our indoor and outdoor rental options at www.theparklands.org/venues. For pricing and availability, call 502-815-0277 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
- While the in-person gathering for The Parklands Luncheon, presented by PNC Bank, was canceled, the work of our education team is ongoing through The Parklands Virtual Classroom. Luncheon committee members continue their efforts to raise funds benefiting The Parklands Outdoor Classroom, which reached nearly 20,000 participants in 2019. Throughout the pandemic, The Parklands Virtual Classroom continues to engage students, families and individuals of all ages with videos and activities that correspond to Next Generation Science Standards.
- Due to COVID-19, The Parklands 5K Walk & Run has been rescheduled for Sunday, September 13, 2020. We hope that you can still join us later this year for our annual 5K benefiting our visitor-supported park! Register and view the latest information at www.theparklands.org/5k.
This is a rapidly changing situation. We will continue to monitor developments and align our response with city and statewide efforts. Visitors are encouraged to check our website before visiting in case of additional closures or changes in programming.
Thank you for your patience and continued support of our donor and visitor-supported public park!